Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What happens in the silence...

Thursday night I started a fast with my lifegroup. We all choose something different. Since I spend quite a lot of time in my car, I choose to fast music in my car. My whole life is filled with noise. Silence has become awkward. But during this time of silence the Lord has been speaking to me about my strengths and weaknesses and what I bring to the table. And has used the books I read to encourage me.

In Rob Bell's book SexGod he writes:

"Have you observed people who have to have a radio on, the television on, or their iPod near by? Are you one of those people? One of the reasons some have to always have noise and external stimulus is because they are terrified of the silence. The stillness. The present. If you stop and rest in the quiet, you will have to listen to what is going on inside you. And this can be frightening. Imagine a person who never listens to their own soul, who never sits in the silence with themselves, who is never naked with themselves. Imagine this person trying to become echad with another. How can a person mingle with another soul when they are out of touch with their own?"

I have become this person. I am so afraid of where my own thoughts will take me.

0 comments: